Order Enquiries (UK) : 01436 820269

You currently have no items in your basket

Last Christmas Post Dates (more)>
UK : 20 Dec, US/CAN/EUR : 18 Dec

Buy with confidence and security!
Publishing historical art since 1985

Don't Miss Any Special Deals - Sign Up To Our Newsletter!
Product Search         

Supreme Courage by Philip West. (AP) - MilitaryArtCompany.com

Massive savings on this month's big offers including our BUY ONE GET ONE HALF PRICE offer on many prints and many others at HALF PRICE or with FREE PRINTS!
Many of our offers end in 9 hours, 60 minutes!
View our Special Offers
Choose any two prints in this special offer and the lower priced item is half price. (Any free bonus prints already supplied with an item are separate and will also be included !)
Hundreds of items across our websites are included in this offer!

Supreme Courage by Philip West. (AP)

Supreme Courage by Philip West. (AP)

Skuas flew from HMS Ark Royal through much of the 1940 campaign off Norway, and one is seen getting airborne in typically grey North Sea weather. The Blackburn Skua had many remarkable firsts to its credit; the first all-metal monoplane built for the Fleet Air Arm (FAA); the first dive bomber in British air services; the first enemy aircraft shot down in WW2 fell to a Skua; the first fighter ace in the FAA (Lt. Bill Lucy DSO) flew Skuas and the first warship (Konigsberg) destroyed by dive bombing was sunk by Skuas.
Item Code : DHM2620APSupreme Courage by Philip West. (AP) - This EditionAdd any two items on this offer to your basket, and the lower priced item will be half price in the checkout! Buy 1 Get 1 Half Price!
Limited edition of 50 artist proofs.

Paper size 28 inches x 18 inches (71cm x 46cm) Brown, Eric Winkle
Harcourt, Douglas
Blackburn, George R
Martin, Derek T R
Bond, Eric
Richards, Lloyd
Skinner, Ron
+ Artist : Philip West
£30 Off!Now : £145.00

All prices on our website are displayed in British Pounds Sterling

Other editions of this item : Supreme Courage by Philip West.DHM2620
PRINTSigned limited edition of 100 prints. Paper size 28 inches x 18 inches (71cm x 46cm) Martin, Derek T R
Bond, Eric
Richards, Lloyd
Skinner, Ron
+ Artist : Philip West
£30 Off!Add any two items on this offer to your basket, and the lower priced item will be half price in the checkout!Now : £120.00VIEW EDITION...
**Signed limited edition of 100 prints. (Two prints available only)

Paper size 28 inches x 18 inches (71cm x 46cm) Martin, Derek T R
Bond, Eric
Richards, Lloyd
Skinner, Ron
+ Artist : Philip West

Signatures on this item
CPO Ron SkinnerJoined the Royal Navy as a Writer in January 1937, and served as Captain Warburton-Lee's Writer in HMS. Effingham in 1937/38. (Captain Warburton-Lee was the first VC in WW2 - posthumous, Narvick). After five weeks in HMS. Enterprise during the Munich crisis, Ron joined HMS. Ark Royal in Cammell Laird's yard on 13th November 1938 and remained on board until taken off by HMS Legion on 13th November 1941. Ron was onboard with the ship in action with Force H in the Mediterranean, against the "Bismarck", Oran & Mers el Kebir, Dakar, the hunt for the "Graf Spee" and during the Norwegian campaign. As the ship's Writer Ron was responsible for maintaining and posting the record of air operations (counting them out and counting them back). Post Ark he served in stone frigates - in HMS President III (Defensively Equipped Merchant Ships) where he met and married P.O. Wren Edna Newman in 1945 before transferring to HMS Copra (Combined Ops.) He left the Royal navy from HMS Daedalus in February 1947 and remained in R.F.R until 1957.
Eric BondJoined the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm in August 1940. He served on the aircraft carriers HMS Furious, Ark Royal and Illustrious in the Mediterranean and Atlantic. In February 1942 he was drafted to Gibraltar to fly in Skua, Fulmar and Swordfish aircraft for exercise attacks on the Fleet and Gibraltar fortress. He was then transferred to North Africa (Oran) for four months, then back operationally to Gibraltar with 833 Squadron. Eric's next move was back to the UK with the carrier HMS Stalker and then he qualified at the School of Air Combat. He left the Royal Navy in October 1945. In 1950 Eric joined the RNVR and served as CPO (A) aircrew and joined 1840 & 1842 Channel Air Division, flying in Firefly, Gannet and helicopter aircraft. On the disbandonment of R~ squadrons, Eric served as Chief Radio Supervisor involving duties at Whitehall and Faslane. He left the R~ in 1971, having served 26 1/2years.

Eric Winkle Brown (deceased)
Most highly decorated Royal Navy pilot. Holder of the world record for most types of aircraft flown, at 487, and for the largest number of aircraft carrier landings - 2407. Had a 31 -year career in the Royal Navy, and is the Fleet Air Arm's most decorated pilot. After a distinguished operational tour flying from Britain's first escort carrier, he was selected as a test pilot in 1942 and then served at A&AEE Boscombe Down before being appointed as Chief Naval Test Pilot at the Royal Aircraft Establishment at Farnborough, where he remained for six years. During that time he commanded the Enemy Aircraft Flight, the High Speed Flight and finally the prestigious Aerodynamics Flight. During the Korean War he served as a test pilot at the US Naval Air Test Center at Patuxent River for two years. While in his appointment as Head of the British Naval Air Mission to Germany from 1957-60 he was seconded to the Focke-Wulf Co. for a spell as their test pilot. In his test-flying career he has flown a world record 487 basic types of aircraft, and made a world record 2,407 aircraft carrier landings in fixed-wing aircraft. He is a past President of the Royal Aeronautical Society, an Honorary Fellow of the Society of Experimental Test Pilots and a Master Pilot of Russia. In 1995 he was inducted into the US Navy's Carrier Aviation Test Pilot Hall of Honor, the only non-American to have received this accolade. Eric Winkle Brown died on 21st February 2016.
Lloyd RichardsLlloyd Richards was born on the island of Guernsey on 8th July 1919. He joined the Royal Navy in December 1934, serving on HMS Royal Sovereign in 1936 and then HMS Royal Oak for duties on the south coast of Spain on intervention patrols during the Spanish Civil War. His next appointment was to HMS Guardian for anti-submarine net laying and target towing. Lloyd then joined the Fleet Air Arm in 1938 and trained at HMS Raven (now Southampton airport) and RAF Aldergrove Signal School. He then flew to RNAS Hatston to reform 803 squadron for duties on HMS Ark Royal flying Skuas. In June 1940 Lloyd was shot down during the attack by the Scharnhorst, taken prisoner and held in a German POW camp but escaped a few months before the end of the war. Serving as the wireless operator in the back of the Skua of pilot Sub Lt Bartlett on 12th June 1940, the Skuas were without the planned air cover from Blenheim aircraft and were decimated by the German fighter cover for the ships. With eight of the fifteen aircraft shot down almost straight away, and with fire from the ships exploding all around them, their Skua was eventually hit by cannon fire which injured Sub Lt Bartlett. Despite coming close to losing consciousness through blood loss, Bartlett managed to get his bomb away and pull out of their steep dive. The damaged aircraft crash landed in a field, and Lloyd Richards was trapped in the back of the cockpit for a while, before hacking a hole in the aircraft to escape, helping the injured Bartlett out as well. They were soon captured, and while Bartleet was sent for medical attention, Richards was sent to a POW camp. As a POW he was transferred to several different camps until 1945. On another march between camps, he escaped, and eventually found an Allied camp after a trek of some 400 miles. He was returned to the UK, and some years later returned to his native Guernsey.
Lt Cdr Derek T R MartinWas accepted by the Admiralty Board for pilot training in 193 8. He attended Course No. 5 set up in HMS Frobisher in early March 193 9. He was transferred to the Naval College at Greenwich in early May 1939 for flying training at Gravesend. From there he went to RAF Netheravon for intermediate and advanced flying and was awarded "Wings" in November 1939. In January 1940 Derek transferred to RN Fighter Training School at HMS Raven - now known as Southampton Airport. In April 1940 he was appointed to his first operational squadron of Skuas at Donibristle (Firth of Forth); from there he flew to Prestwick en-route to HMS Ark Royal waiting in the Clyde before proceeding for operations off Norway. However, on the way, at about 800 feet Derek's aircraft suffered total engine failure and he crash landed (safely) into a ploughed field at Troon. He subsequently flew another Sktia aircraft to join Ark Royal and 800 Squadron before making way to Norway where they were to carry out protective patrols over naval operations in the region of Narvik and the Fleet anchorage at Hartstad. Early in June, the Norwegian campaign was abandoned and with evacuation complete the fleet, with HMS Ark Royal and HMS Glorious, sailed for Scapa convoying the merchant ships with recovered troops. On 7th June "Glorious", with two destroyers was detached and sailed independently for Scapa. Having no air patrols she was sighted by two German battleships on June 8th, and all three ships were sunk with the loss of 1520 men. Subsequently, 15 Skuas from 800 & 803 Squadrons from Ark Royal attacked Gernian naval forces in Trondheirn on 13th June at 0100 in daylight. Observed when still 70 miles from their targets they encountered on arrival very heavy flak and many Me109s and 110s. Eight aircraft were destroyed, seven aircrew killed and nine captured. Seven aircraft returned to the Ark - two having aborted their attack. Lt. Cdr. Martin was captured and remained a POW until May 1945. He was in at least seven different POW camps, the last one being Stalag Luft 111 (north camp), from which in January 1945 they were marched out ahead of the Russian forces. He was finally released in Lubeck, arriving back in England on VE day. He resigned the Royal Navy as a ND (dagger) in June 1966.
Lt Cmdr George R BlackburnLearned to fly as a civilian pilot before WW2 at Marshall's Flying School, Cambridge, where he obtained a Private Pilots Licence. The RAF turned him down for flying at the outbreak of WW2 owing to defective eyesight. The Royal Navy accepted him with corrected vision. He served in the Army as a Private from 1940-1941 and the Fleet Air Arm (FAA) from 1941-1946. Whilst in the FAA he was in the following squadrons: 813 & 836 TBR/TSR/AIL Swordfish A/C (Operational Squadrons) and 752, 780, 793 and 785 Training and Non-Operational Squadrons. George flew throughout the war in the UK, Trinidad, Canada, Gibratar/Mediterrcan, North Africa and Atlantic convoys. He finished as Commanding Officer Aircraft Ferry Squadron. He continued flying after the war in the RAFVR. from 19491952 and the RNYWRNR from 1952-1958. After this George continued flying as a civilian pilot.
Sqn Ldr Douglas HarcourtJoined the navy at H.MS. Ganges in January 1933. He was drafted to H.MS. York in January 1934 before setting sail for the USA and West Indies. Based in Bermuda the ship covered both North and South America coasts as well as north to Canada. H.M S. York returned to England in August 1936. In 1937 Douglas was drafted to H.MS. Sussex; the time of the Spanish Civil War. After this he was sent for pilot training at Rochester. This was followed by Observer training in Sharks at Ford and Sktia drogue towing at Hatston. He was then sent to Lee on Solent on general service before going to Alexandria as Coxswain to carry out inshore mine patrols on a former pleasure cruiser. Douglas then requested to join the RAF and was accepted on to the Air Sea Rescue flight, which became 294 Squadron. He flew Wellingtons, Walrus and Fairchild Amphibian, and was responsible for several rescues. He was commissioned Pilot Officer F/Lt and then taken off operations to Air Headquarters Eastern Med. Then promoted to Sqn. Ldr. as Marine and Air Sea Rescue Officer. Douglas was sent home in March 1945 and posted to RAF Henlow Station. He was demobbed in October 1945.

The Aircraft :

Contact Details
Shipping Info
Terms and Conditions
Classified Ads

Join us on Facebook!

Sign Up To Our Newsletter!

Stay up to date with all our latest offers, deals and events as well as new releases and exclusive subscriber content!

This website is owned by Cranston Fine Arts.  Torwood House, Torwoodhill Road, Rhu, Helensburgh, Scotland, G848LE

Contact: Tel: (+44) (0) 1436 820269.  Fax: (+44) (0) 1436 820473. Email:

Follow us on Twitter!

Return to Home Page